Is it time for an air-conditioner replacement in your Portland area home? A basic rule of thumb is to consider the 50 percent rule. This states that when the cost of repairs approaches 50 percent of the air conditioner’s value, it’s time to replace the system. Even if costs are significantly lower than 50 percent, though, it’s wise to seek an air-conditioner replacement if your system is more than 12 years old or you’ve already sunk a lot of money on repairs in the past.
In addition to these rules of thumb, here are seven more convincing reasons that indicate now’s the time for an air-conditioner replacement.
- Convenience: The hassle of keeping your old system up and running might not be worth it compared to the convenience of a new, high-quality cooling system. Expect fewer repairs from your new A/C, and when repairs are needed, rest assured that parts for your new equipment are easier to come by. This means you’re not left hanging for days as a part ships to Portland.
- Lower energy bills: New systems, especially those with the Energy Star rating, perform at top-notch efficiency, which can save significantly on cooling bills all summer long.
- Enhanced comfort: The same technology that improves efficiency also provides better comfort. Expect more even temperatures, better humidity removal and constant airflow from your new system.
- Improved air quality: Better humidity control means less indoor moisture. This prevents mold growth and keeps indoor air healthier.
- Energy tax credits: It’s not too late to recover some of your investment through federal energy tax credits, a program that makes the purchase much more manageable.
- More environmentally friendly: Not only do new air conditioners consume less electricity, but they run on the new R-410A refrigerant, the modern replacement for more environmentally harmful R-22 refrigerant that older systems run on.
- New warranty: In most air-conditioner replacement situations, you can expect to benefit from a five-year limited warranty. This provides great peace of mind if your current system’s warranty has expired.
For more help assessing your specific situation for an air-conditioner replacement, please contact Roth Heating & Cooling today. We have over 35 years of experience serving Portland area residents.