Now that winter in Oregon is in full swing, promoting home safety is vital. The U.S. Fire Administration states that more people die from electrical house fires in the winter months than in any other time of year. In addition to electrical fire hazards, your family can be at risk for fire and other dangers from improper use or storage of items in your household. The checklists below contain suggestions which will help to keep your home and your family safe not only this winter, but year-round.
- Replace extension cords and appliance cords when they become frayed, worn or cracked.
- Don’t place extension cords or appliance cords under rugs or on/under heaters.
- Only use one plug per outlet or use a power strip with built-in overload protection.
- Unplug and discontinue using any appliance that begins to overheat, spark or smoke.
Chemical safety checklist
- Store all household flammable chemicals, such as lamp oil, nail polish remover and cooking oil, in their original containers far away from any heat source.
- Store all gasoline and paint thinners in approved safety containers and in well-ventilated areas away from your home, if possible.
- Never use gasoline or lighter fluid to start a fire in a wood stove or fireplace.
Checklist of fire safety
- Burn all candles and oil lamps in a safe manner.
- Don’t store large quantities of combustible items, like newspapers and old clothes, anywhere in your home, especially not near gas appliances.
- Install portable heaters in an out-of-the-way area.
- Don’t use a portable heater with an extension cord.
- Install working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home.
If you have any questions on home safety, especially relating to your home’s heating or cooling system, contact Roth Heating & Cooling. We’ve provided HVAC services for the Portland area since 1976.