Choosing among different HVAC installation quotes can be a daunting process, since homeowners don’t replace their heating or cooling systems very often. The stakes are high, since conditioning your home takes half or more of your energy budget annually, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. This guide can help you make a good choice.
- Licensing. The contractor must have an active HVAC license, along with full insurance and bonding to install equipment. You can check with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board by phone or online, following the links on its website. It’s also a good idea to find out the Better Business Bureau’s rating for that contractor.
- Sizing process. Be wary of any contractor who doesn’t go through the sizing process but simply says that the size of the heating or cooling system you need is the same as your current equipment. A reputable contractor should use Manual J software to complete a full load calculation for your home so you don’t choose a system that’s too large or small. Both errors will reduce your comfort, drive up energy bills and break down earlier.
- Energy efficiency. If one of the HVAC installation quotes is markedly lower than the others, check the small print. The system the contractor recommended could be a lower efficiency than the others. Efficiency is as important as proper size, since your energy bills depend on how well the system uses energy to provide heating or cooling. Choose the most efficient you can afford and you’ll benefit financially in the short and long run.
- Warranty coverage. The warranty is an important aspect of choosing your new system. It covers you financially in the unlikely event the system breaks down. The industry standard for installation warranties is one year, and manufacturers provide warranties of different lengths.
- Service and support. A contractor who provides emergency support 24/7 can make a big difference in your comfort in the event of a system problem.
To learn more about reviewing HVAC installation quotes, please contact us at (503) 266-1249. We’ve provided outstanding HVAC services for Portland area homeowners since 1976.