Very few things can cast a shadow over a relaxing vacation than coming home to a disaster of some sort. So many things can go wrong while you’re away. The water heater may turn the living room into a swimming pool or a smashed window can confirm a break-in. However, you don’t have to fret every moment you are away. With a little forethought on home safety and security, you can prevent or reduce damage from the unexpected.
Inside the home:
- Adjust the thermostat to reduce energy expenditures, but do not turn off the system. If the A/C compressor isn’t kicking on occasionally, this could alert would-be thieves casing a neighborhood that you are away.
- Unplug all electronics and appliances except the refrigerator and freezer. This could reduce damage from power surges during an unexpected storm and prevent electrical fires. Don’t forget the garage door opener. Burglars are expert code crackers and you don’t want to make it easy for them.
- Increase home safety and security by checking and double checking all doors and windows. Place bars on sliding doors and latch door chains. Make sure valuables are tucked away and not easily seen by prying eyes.
- Set lights and a radio on timers (but not all on the same sequence), to give the illusion that there is at least a house sitter.
- Turn off water valves to the washer, ice maker, and even sinks and toilets.
Outside the house:
- Enlist a neighbor check on the house every day, pick up the mail and paper.
- Inform the local neighborhood watch, the police, and your home security company of the dates that you will be away. They may be able to catch any suspicious activity around your home, especially if they know you are not there.
- If you’re going to be gone for an extended time, schedule a visit from a lawn maintenance company. Nothing screams vacation more than an unkempt lawn in a sea of manicured green.
- Another great way to prep your home for an extended vacation is to schedule one of Roth’s expert plumbers for a complete drain down of your water. This is especially helpful when planning to be gone through the winter months.
Give yourself a little peace of mind and prevent coming home to a disaster with a little pre-vacation home preparation. Contact the knowledgeable staff at Roth Heating & Cooling for more information on preparing your Portland area home for your absence by calling us at (503) 266-1249!