Choosing high-efficiency A/Cs will do more than help lower cooling costs during the summer. Over the last decade, the efficiency of these systems has improved substantially, and new technology offers more benefits than just cooling your home, such as:
- Environmental safety. In 2010, the U.S. EPA prohibited the use of the old industry standard A/C refrigerant, R-22 (or Freon), in new cooling systems because of its adverse effect on the ozone layer and climate change. Since 2010, most new systems use R-410A, a more environmentally friendly refrigerant. With R-22 prices skyrocketing, you’ll save with a system that uses the new refrigerant formulas.
- Warranty protection. New cooling systems installed by a licensed and authorized HVAC contractor will carry a warranty. As long as you comply with its terms, you’ll be covered in the event of an unlikely breakdown. The parts and labor are likely to be covered, easing any costs to you.
- Fan-delay switch. This switch lets the air handler run a few minutes after the outdoor compressor turns off, which allows the air handler to move the cooled air from the ducts into your rooms.
- Improved comfort. Most high-efficiency A/Cs have variable-speed air handlers that adjust the running speed depending on the need for cooling. They start and stop slowly, remove more indoor humidity, and often run quieter even at top running speed.
- Better convenience. High-efficiency A/Cs equipped with a filter-check light will remind you to check the air filter. This helps avoid an excessively dusty filter, which drives up cooling costs and hastens system breakdowns.
In order to get the most from the high-efficiency system you choose, it will have to be sized and installed correctly. Sizing it involves taking into account your home’s cooling load, including the home’s size, its energy efficiency, floor plan design and the heat generated indoors. The existing ductwork needs to be assessed and sealed tightly, and the condenser should be placed in a shady location outdoors for top performance.
If you’d like more information about the benefits of high-efficiency A/Cs, please contact us at (503) 266-1249. We’ve provided outstanding HVAC services for the greater Portland area since 1976.