Have you tested your home’s electrical system lately? Experts recommend that you have it examined for problems on a regular basis. If you’re the new owner of a previously-owned home, or if your home is over 40 years old with recent renovations, your wiring needs attention. Many home and structural fires can be prevented by just knowing and paying attention to the warning signs of faulty wiring.
Signs your electrical wiring needs attention
- Your circuit breakers trip frequently. Breakers that trip often may be faulty and should be replaced as soon as possible.
- Your lights flicker or dim frequently.
- Sparks or flashes of light come out of your electrical outlets, switches or your breaker box. Stop using electrical appliances and contact a professional immediately.
- You hear any sort of sizzling noise. Your electrical system should operate noiselessly; if you hear any kind of buzzing noise you should investigate immediately.
- You smell a hot or burning odor. Overheating wires have a very distinctive smell of melting plastic; if you smell something suspicious, an overheating wire may be the culprit.
- If you receive a shock, even just a little tingle, while using an outlet, schedule an appointment to have your wiring looked at.
- Your home has an overrated electrical panel. If your fuses or circuit breakers are rated higher than the capacity of the branch circuits, have a professional check it out.
- Cracked or broken wire insulation is in your home. Visually inspect any exposed wires for damage and repair as soon as you see a problem.
Damaged or faulty electrical wiring in your home is nothing to play around with. The best way to protect your home and your family is to hire a licensed professional to come to your home for a thorough inspection.
If you notice any of these warning signs in your Portland home, your wiring needs attention. To schedule an appointment or for answers to any other home comfort or safety concerns, contact us at (503) 266-1249!