The heating season is in full swing in the Portland area. If you haven’t already scheduled your yearly preventive furnace maintenance, now’s the time to do it. Annual heating service is essential for the safe and efficient operation of your furnace, saving you money on energy costs and ensuring your family’s safety throughout the heating season. A qualified HVAC professional will perform a comprehensive cleaning and tune-up of your system, including the following key points:
- Lubricate the moving parts of the furnace to prevent friction, which will cause wear on your system and result in higher electricity costs.
- Check the burner combustion and gas pressure for safe and efficient operation.
- Tighten gas and electrical connections to prevent fire hazards.
- Measure the current and voltage on the motor for efficiency.
- Check your home’s ducts for loose connections and damage, and repair if necessary.
- Inspect the vent, caps and flue for optimum air flow.
- Test for potentially deadly carbon monoxide leaks.
- Check the blower assembly for efficient operation.
- Check your thermostat for accuracy to help lower your heating bills.
After your tune-up, there are some things you can do to keep your family warm and safe this winter, and to keep your energy costs in check:
- Stock up on furnace filters and check your filter every month. Replace it when it’s dirty to improve your indoor air quality, prevent damaging dust buildup in your system, and to ensure optimum air flow.
- Maintain the area around your furnace. Keep the access panel easily accessible, and regularly remove dust and debris from the area surrounding your unit.
- Store flammable materials at least 15 feet away from your furnace.
- Test your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors twice a year and replace the batteries at least once a year.
- Reverse the direction of the ceiling fans in your home to help recirculate warm air that collects near the ceiling, allowing your furnace to kick on less often.
For more advice about annual heating service, or to schedule service with one of our highly qualified technicians, please feel free to contact us at (503) 266-1249, serving the greater Portland area since 1976.