You may have heard advertising or TV news pieces about how your duct system, the enclosed metal passageway that distributes air throughout your home, sometimes requires professional cleaning? Indeed, while not all homes need it, there are certain scenarios in which you should consider professional duct cleaning, including if there:
- Is excessive debris in your ducts, which can lower your home’s air quality.
- Are signs of mold located on your ductwork’s metal surfaces.
- Are pests, such as rodents or insects, invading your ducts. You may hear them, or you may find their droppings.
Having a professional cleaning typically can solve these issues. However, finding the right company for the job is essential, since con artists are frequently seen roaming neighborhoods offering duct cleaning services. Here are some good ways to protect yourself when looking for a reputable Portland-area ductwork cleaning provider:
- Be suspicious of exaggerated claims: Avoid providers who claim you need to have your ducts cleaned frequently. Having it done every three to five years is sufficient in most cases.
- Ask for references: Get a list of references from previous customers who have used the company’s service. Call them and ask if they were satisfied with the provider’s performance. Ask the company if they hold any special licenses for ductwork cleaning (some states require them), and select service providers with strong ties to the community and a good professional reputations.
- Ask questions: Narrow your provider choice to three reputable companies, and ask each one how much experience they have performing duct cleanings and related work, how they plan to protect your home from possible contamination when the job is under way, and how many jobs they’ve conducted on duct systems similar to yours.
- Request a written estimate: Always get a written agreement prior to allowing the company’s representatives to begin work. The agreement should include all costs, contingencies that could arise and what costs may be associated with them, and the length of time that the job should take to complete.
Cleaning your duct system is occasionally necessary, but you must choose a competent and experienced company to ensure that the job is done right. For more information concerning duct cleaning and other issues related to home comfort, contact the experts at Roth Heating & Cooling. We have served the Portland area since 1976.