Annual preventive maintenance for your home’s HVAC equipment is the primary method of protecting one of your largest home investments. With the need to stay cool on most homeowners minds, a precision tune up will help keep your equipment clean, allowing it to operate at peak efficiency. Dirt build-up is arguably the number one enemy of an air conditioner, and can occur throughout the system. Similar build-up on the coils alone can cause several issues, including:
- Decreased operating capacity: When dirt inhibits the coils’ ability to transfer heat, the system’s ability to perform can decrease by up to 30 percent, reducing its overall capacity to cool your home.
- Higher energy costs: Dirty coils also affect energy costs, causing an A/C to consume more than 35 percent of the energy it would need to if the coils were clean.
- Repairs: Over time, dirt build-up on the coils will lead to a higher operating pressure and hotter internal temperatures. Eventually, these factors will cause the lubricant on the compressor to break down, which could eventually lead to compressor failure—and a costly repair.
While the coils are key to efficiency, because they either transfer heat or absorb heat, a comprehensive tune up will address dirt build-up throughout the A/C, helping to ward off unnecessary wear and tear and repairs and keeping the system in good working condition.
At Roth Heating & Cooling, we perform a comprehensive seasonal precision tune up that includes:
- Cleaning the air handler
- Inspecting the electrical connections
- Lubricating the entire system
- Cleaning both sets of coils on the indoor and outdoor units
- Testing the safety of the system
- Checking the condensate drains
- Checking the temperature drop
- Inspecting the heat exchanger
- Testing the controls and thermostat
Homeowners who keep up with regular preventive maintenance gain key benefits from keeping your systems operating at their peak. To schedule a tune-up in the Portland metro area, contact the professionals at (503) 994-9924!