Winter in northwest Oregon can be electrifying … and not in a good way. The dry air produced by forced-air furnaces during the winter months can cause a buildup of static electricity that causes little sparks whenever you touch anything. It’s annoying at best. At worst, that static energy can wreck havoc on your computer and other electronic devices.
What Is Static Electricity?
Static electricity is the accumulation of electric charge on the surface of objects. It can be you, your skirt, the carpet or even your pet. The phenomenon is well-known to most Oregon homeowners. Who hasn’t shuffled across the living room carpet only to get a little zap when touching the light switch or another person? The spark is caused when the charged item (you) touches an uncharged object and the electricity is neutralized.
Benefits Of A Whole-House Humidifier
A whole-house humidifier can rid your home of pesky static. Such a system attaches to your furnace and sends vapor humidity throughout your existing duct system, raising the relative humidity in your home and banishing the static electric energy.
In addition to getting rid of those little zaps, a whole-house humidifier can make you feel warmer at a lower temperature, helping you to save energy and energy dollars. Controlling the humidity in your home can also be beneficial to your family’s health. Bacteria, such as pneumococcus, staphylococcus and streptococcus, die much more quickly in a moderately humid home than in a dry one. Even your furniture will benefit from a little humidity. Dry air can cause wooden pieces to split and crack.
If you’re tired of battling with static electricity in your Oregon home, contact us at (503) 266-1249 in Portland. We’ll show you how easy it can be to install a whole house humidifier in your home.