Keeping your home at a comfortable temperature without breaking the bank can be a problem here in the Portland area. Luckily, today’s high-efficiency A/C systems make the task much easier. As Energy Savers says, even if your air conditioner is only 10 years old, you may save up to 40 percent off your cooling costs by replacing it with a newer, more-efficient model.
New high-efficiency air conditioners can also save you the inconvenience and cost of constantly patching up your current system to keep it running for just one more season. Many homeowners are surprised when they discover how quickly a new air conditioner will pay for itself in lower monthly utility bills.
When choosing your new home comfort system, look for the Energy Star label which identifies high efficiency air conditioners with SEER ratings of 13 or more. The seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) expresses the amount of energy required for the unit to provide a certain level of cooling output. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient the unit.
High-efficiency A/C systems offer the following features as well:
- Fan switches with automatic delay capability to switch off just a few minutes after the compressor turns off
- High-temperature ratings (EER) greater than 11.6 with thermal-expansion valves allow efficient operation, even in the middle of summer
- Variable-speed air handlers for more flexible power use and quieter operation than traditional systems
- Ventilation-only (fan-only) control options bringing you fresh air during those times when you don’t need your air conditioning
- Filter-check indicators – replacing the filter as often as recommended (monthly or when dirty) keeps your system working at it’s highest efficiency level, and extends its life.
- And more…
Contact the professionals at Roth Heating & Cooling, Plumbing, Electrical, Drain Services for professional expert advice about air conditioning systems designed to suit your home and your family’s needs. We’ve been in business for more than 35 years here in Portland, and we’re happy to advise you on any home comfort issues.