With the cool winters and the hot summers here in Portland, the working condition of your heating and air conditioning unit should be examined on a regular basis. It’s best to take the necessary steps sooner, rather than later, so that you’ll know your equipment is in good working condition for any weather. The last thing that you want is to be stuck with a malfunctioning A/C system during the summer or a broken heater in the middle of winter.
Professionally-applied precision tune ups of your heating and cooling equipment should come with service agreements and should involve the following maintenance procedures:
- Electrical Connections: A bad electrical connection will lead to the improper working condition of your air conditioning system and will greatly subtract from the life of your unit. Bad connections can also be dangerous.
- Thermostat Settings: Your thermostat settings need to be assessed to ensure that your A/C is working at the highest level of efficiency possible.
- Condensate Drain: Drains that are clogged/plugged can do damage to the humidity levels in your house.
- Lubrication: Some parts of your air conditioner may not be properly lubricated and can cause friction, forcing it to work harder.
- Refrigerant Level: Too much or too little refrigerant will leave your system functioning less efficiently.
- Evaporator and Condenser A/C Coils: Air conditioning units with dirty coils consume more energy, which reduces the life of your unit and increases the cost of your monthly utility bills.
- Blower Components: If your system has airflow problems, your A/C’s efficiency can be lowered by up to 15 percent.
Along with the previously mentioned procedures, all of the following will be checked as well:
- Test safeties
- Cleaning or replacement of standard filter
- Measurement of temperature drop across coil/furnace
- Cleaning/checking of heat exchanger
- Cleaning/adjusting of burners
- Amp draws will be checked
- Cleaning of indoor/outdoor equipment cabinets
Service agreements should be presented with any tune up conducted by a professional, so that you know you’re receiving quality work.
With your heating and cooling equipment working at it’s best you will be able to lower the cost of your utility bills. Contact the experts at Roth Heating & Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical today and have them look at your equipment to ensure that your home stays as comfortable as possible.