Whether you’re looking for someone to perform routine maintenance on your heating and cooling system, or you’re in the market for a complete system replacement, it’s critical to find the right HVAC contractor for the job. Calling the first HVAC listing in the phone book is certainly an option, but you run the risk of overpaying or ending up with shoddy workmanship. Knowing what to look for can make all the difference.
Here are five tips that will help you make the best possible choice:
- Ask for Credentials: HVAC contractors in Oregon are required to hold a license demonstrating two years of experience in the field. A NATE-certified contractor has gone beyond basic licensing to pursue additional HVAC training. Making sure your contractor meets these minimum standards helps to ensure that he or she is qualified for the job.
- Do Your Research: Knowing the system you already have (age, overall performance, basic functionality) will help you work with an HVAC contractor making repairs. If you’re replacing a system, it’s also important to understand your options and potential costs ahead of time. Educating yourself is a great way to avoid purchasing a service that you didn’t want or need in the first place.
- Check Referrals: Your HVAC contractor should be able to provide you with a list of referrals. Ask previous customers about their overall experience and if they would use the contractor again. It may help you avoid hiring someone with an unsatisfactory service level.
- Get it in Writing: Avoid hiring any one who won’t provide something in writing. A reputable HVAC contractor will always provide a written, itemized estimate for repairs and system replacements.
- Heed the Warnings: Asking for money up front, failing to return phone calls and missing deadlines are all warning signs that your contractor may not be the right one for you.
At Roth Heating & Cooling, Plumbing, Electrical, Drain Services, we pride ourselves on delivering quality customer service and professional workmanship. Give us a call at (503) 266-1249 for any of your HVAC needs.