Knowing where and how your home leaks air is a critical first step to resolving energy loss. Using a professional to evaluate your home’s potential energy savings will help assess potential problems, such as leaks, drafts, moisture and air quality, and offer solutions. You’ll receive a report and recommendations for energy savings, which will ultimately save you money.
An evaluation includes:
- HVAC equipment. The technician evaluates heating and cooling function, and measures air flow and efficiency.
- Ductwork. Any leaks at the joints and connections of duct work are examined.
- Air sealing. An inspection of the attic, walls, windows and basement reveals leaks and shows how air moves throughout the house.
- Insulation. Walls, attics and basements should have sufficient insulation to prevent air from escaping.
- Air filters. A technician will evaluate their effectiveness, their ability to constrict pollutants and the indoor air quality.
Tests that professionals use include:
- Blower Door Test. This device attaches to an outside door to measures leaks. Designed to intensify air leakage by using a fan, the interior air is drawn out of the home, which lowers the air pressure. The technician can then assess how much outside air seeps in, due to its high pressure.
- When searching for a technician to evaluate your home’s energy savings, make sure the company uses a calibrated door blower, rather than uncalibrated. A calibrated test measures several areas to show how much air is pulled into the home; it determines air leakage and assesses how improvements in sealing will impact energy.
- Thermography Test. This test uses infrared cameras to gauge insulation needs and air infiltration. It is a heat sensitive camera that shows hot spots as white and cool spots as black. This is typically used in conjunction with the blower test and can scan electrical and mechanical equipment as well.
Consider how a professional evaluation can assist with energy savings and improve your home’s efficiency and comfort. At Roth Heating & Cooling, Plumbing, Electrical, Drain Services, we are happy to answer any questions.