Finding an HVAC professional for your Portland area home is an important decision. You don’t want to leave your heating and cooling equipment to just anyone off the street. To get the very best contractor for your hard-earned money, we suggest that you follow these tips:
- Ask about licensing — First and foremost, make sure that the HVAC contractor meets the minimum requirements for being licensed, bonded, and insured.
- Enlist your friends and family — If anyone you know is already using a technician that they trust, start your search with them.
- Contact references — Ask the contractor for a list of references and then call each one to inquire about their individual experiences.
- Take a look online — Check various sources, from the Better Business Bureau to review sites like Yelp, to get an idea of the business’ reputation.
- Provide info about equipment — If you can relay information about your equipment to the contractor, such as its maintenance history and model number, this will allow the company to respond more accurately.
- Expect an evaluation — In order to learn about your specific needs, an evaluation of your home’s heating and cooling equipment, air leakage, and other such elements will need to be conducted.
- Ask about Energy Star — Any technician who knows what he or she is doing should be pushing you toward the installation of equipment that carries either the standard Energy Star label or the new Most Efficient one.
- Confirm NATE status — NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certification is the best indicator in the industry for professionalism and knowledge due to stringent testing.
- Obtain a written contract before work begins — Everything needs to be in writing before the contractor starts working on a project. This includes how to deal with any problems that may arise.
- Pass it on — If you like how you were treated and the work performed, tell your family and friends.
If you need more expert advice for finding an HVAC professional or any other concerns regarding home comfort, please contact the professionals at Roth Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving the needs of Portland and the surrounding area since 1976.