If you want your heating equipment to run smoothly this winter, hiring an HVAC contractor you can trust is an essential task. This job isn’t too hard to complete, as long as you do your due diligence. We suggest you consider the following tips when selecting the best contractor for your HVAC needs:
- Ask around — There’s a good chance that the best HVAC contractor around is already being utilized by friends, family, or co-workers. This is why your first step should be to ask people you know if they can recommend someone.
- Get a list of references — Once your hunt begins, be sure to obtain a list of references from each prospective contractor. Choose the first letter of the last of the contacts to ensure that you get a fair sampling, then call each person on the list.
- Expect a home evaluation — Before a contractor agrees to conduct any work, they’ll want to evaluate your home’s needs and find any potential problem areas.
- Check for proper licensing, insurance and bonding — A reputable contractor won’t have any problem providing you with documentation that shows they meet all licensing, insurance and bonding minimums based on local or state regulations.
- Inquire about brands — HVAC companies typically carry a limited number of brands. Sometimes, they have their favorites and stick with a very small amount. Find out which brands they use and research them if needed.
- Suggestion of Energy-Efficient Equipment — A contractor should not try to dissuade you from upgrading to more efficient equipment. In fact, they should be singing the praises of Energy Star-qualified equipment, including those in their most efficient category.
- Get everything in writing — Prior to working with a contractor, make sure every detail of the job is put into writing. This should cover the equipment that will be installed, time completion estimates, how to handle problems, cost estimates and any other pertinent details.
If you would like more information on what to look for when hiring an HVAC contractor, please contact the experts at Roth Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of Portland and the surrounding areas since 1976.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Metro Portland area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “3Dalia/Shutterstock”